- Power AJ, Colling L, Mead N, Barnes L, Goswam U (2016). Neural encoding of the speech envelope by children with developmental dyslexia. Brain & Language. doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2016.06.006
- Kalashnikova M, Goswami U, Burnham D (2016). Mothers speak differently to infants at-risk for dyslexia. Developmental Science. doi: 10.1111/desc.12487
- Goswami U, Barnes L, Mead N, Power AJ, Leong V (2016). . Dyslexia. doi:10.1002/dys.1535
- Cutini S, Szucs D, Mead N, Huss M, Goswami U (2016). Atypical right hemisphere response to slow temporal modulations in children with developmental dyslexia. NeuroImage. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2016.08.012
- Clearman J, Klinger V, Szűcs D. (2016). Visuospatial and verbal memory in mental arithmetic. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. doi: 10.1080/17470218.2016.1209534
- Power AJ, Colling LJ, Mead N, Barnes L, Goswami U. (2016). Neural encoding of the speech envelop by children with developmental dyslexia. Brain and Language, 160, 1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2016.06.006
- Goswami U, Cumming R, Chait M, Huss M, Mead N, Wilson AM, Barnes L, Fosker T. (2016). Perception of filtered speech by children with developmental dyslexia and children with specific language impairments. Frontiers in Psychology. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00791.
- Goswami U (2016). Educational neuroscience: neural structure-mapping and the promise of oscillations. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences, 10, 89-96.doi:10.1016/j.cobeha.2016.05.011
- Kuppen SEA, Goswami U (2016). Developmental trajectories for children with dyslexia and low IQ poor readers. Developmental Psychology, 52, 5, 717-734. doi: 10.1037/a0040207
- Leong V, Goswami U (2016). Developmental Science, doi:10.1111/desc.12457.
- Maths anxiety in primary and secondary school students: Gender differences, developmental changes and anxiety specificity.doi:10.1016/j.lindif.2016.02.006
- Carey E, Hill F, Devine A, Szucs D (2016). The chicken or the egg? The direction of the relationship between mathematics anxiety and mathematics performance. Frontiers in Psychology. 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01987
Goswami U, Cumming R, and Wilson A (2016). Rhythmic perception, music and language: A new theoretical framework for understanding and remediating Specific Language Impairment (SLI). A briefing report for the Nuffield Foundation funded research into Speech and Language Impairment.
- Goswami U & Bryant P (2016). Phonological Skills and Learning to Read. London: Psychology Press.
- Goswami U & Leong V (2016). Speech Rhythm and Temporal Structure. Converging Perspectives? Chapter 6, in Linguistic Rhythm and Literacy, eds. Jenny Thomson and Linda Jarmulowicz, 17, 111-132. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Cumming R, Wilson A, Leong V, Colling LJ, Goswami U (2015). Awareness of rhythm patterns in speech and music in children with Specific Language Impairments (SLI). Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 10.3389/fnhum.2015.00672
- Leong V, Goswami U (2015). Acoustic-emergent phonology in the amplitude envelope of child-directed speech. PLoS ONE 10(12): 1-37. .
- Richards S, Goswami U (2015). Auditory processing in Specific Language Impairment (SLI): Relations with the perception of lexical and phrasal stress. J Speech Lang Hear Res, 58(4):1292-305. doi: 10.1044/2015_JSLHR-L-13-0306.
- Cumming R, Wilson A, Goswami U (2015). Basic auditory processing and sensitivity to prosodic structure in children with specific language impairments: A new look at a perceptual hypothesis. Frontiers in Psychology doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00972
- Goswami U (2015). Visual attention span deficits and assessing causality in developmental dyslexia. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 16(4):225. doi: 10.1038/nrn3836-c2
- Vuillier L, Whitebread D, Szűcs D (2015). ERP evidence of cognitive strategy change in motivational conditions with varying level of difficulty, Neuropsychologia. April 2015.
- Smets K, Sasanguine D, Szűcs D, Reynvoet B (2015). The effect of different methods to construct non-symbolic stimuli in numerosity estimation and comparison. Journal of Cognitive Psychology.
- Goswami U (2015). Sensory theories of developmental dyslexia: three challenges for research. Nature Reviews, Neuroscience. 16, 43-54 doi: 10.1038/nrn3836
- Goswami U (2014). The neural basis of dyslexia may originate in primary auditory cortex. Brain, 137(12), 3100-3102. doi: 10.1093/brain/awu229
- Leong V, Kalashnikova M, Burnham D & Goswami U (2014). Infant-directed speech enhances temporal rhythmic structure in the envelope. INTERSPEECH 2014, 15th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA).
- Leong V, Stone M, Turner R & Goswami U. (2014). A role for amplitude modulation phase relationships in speech rhythm perception. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. doi: 10.1121/1.4883366
[Supplementary audio files]
- Avancini C, Galfano G, Szűcs D (2014). Dissociation between arithmetic relatedness and distance effects is modulated by task properties: An ERP study comparing explicit vs. implicit arithmetic processing. Biological Psychology. doi:10.1016/j.biopsycho.2014.10.003
- Goswami U, Power A, Lallier M & Facoetti A. (2014). Oscillatory 'temporal sampling' and developmental dyslexia: toward an over-arching theoretical framework. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. doi 10.3389/fnhum.2014.00904
- Szűcs D, Devine A, Soltesz F, Nobes A, Gabriel F (2014). Cognitive components of a mathematical processing network in 9-year-old children. Developmental Science, 17(4), 506-524. doi: 10.1111/desc.12144.
- Bishop-Liebler P, Welch G, Huss M, Thomson JM & Goswami U. (2014). Auditory temporal processing skills in musicians with dyslexia. Dyslexia, 20, 3, 261-279. doi: 10.1002/dys.1479
- Nath S & Szűcs D (2014). Construction play and cognitive skills associated with the development of mathematical abilities in 7-year-old children. Learning & Instruction, 32, 73-80. doi 10.1016/j.learninstruc.2014.01.006
- Leong V & Goswami U (2014). Impaired extraction of speech rhythm from temporal modulation patterns in speech in developmental dyslexia. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2014.00096.
- Zirk-Sadowski, J., Lamptey, C., Devine, A., Haggard, M. and Szűcs, D. (2014), Young-age gender differences in mathematics mediated by independent control or uncontrollability. Developmental Science. doi: 10.1111/desc.12126. [video]
- Leong V & Goswami U (2014). Assessment of rhythmic entrainment at multiple timescales in dyslexia: Evidence for disruption to syllable timing. Hearing Research, 1-21. doi: 10.1016/j.heares.2013.07.015.
- Goswami, U. (2014, November). Child Psychology: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press.
[Select the book's Reference List here]
- Power AJ, Mead N, Barnes L & Goswami U (2013). Neural entrainment to rhythmic speech in children with developmental dyslexia. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2013.00777
- Szűcs D, Devine A, Soltesz F, Nobes A, Gabriel F (2013), Developmental dyscalculia is related to visuo-spatial memory and inhibition impairment. Cortex, 49, 10, 2674–2688. doi: 10.1016/j.cortex.2013.06.007.
- Killikelly C & Szűcs D (2013). Asymmetry in stimulus and response conflict processing across the adult lifespan: ERP and EMG evidence. Cortex., 49, 10, 2888-2903. doi: 10.1016/j.cortex.2013.08.017
- Gabriel F, Szűcs D, Contant A (2013). The mental representations of fractions: Adult's same-different judgements. Frontiers in Cognition, doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00385.
- Gabriel F, Szűcs D, Contant A (2013). The development of the mental representation of the magnitude of fractions. PLOS One, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0080016.
- Soltész F, Szűcs D, Leong V, White S, Goswami U (2013) Differential Entrainment of Neuroelectric Delta Oscillations in Developmental Dyslexia. PLoS ONE 8(10): e76608. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076608
- Fias W, Menon V, Szűcs D (2013). Multiple components of developmental dyscalculia. Trends in Neuroscience and Education, 2, 2, 43-47. doi: 10.1016/j.tine.2013.06.006.
- Killikelly C & Szűcs D (2013). Delayed development of proactive response preparation in adolescents: ERP and EMG evidence. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 3,33-43. doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2012.08.002
- Wong B, & Szűcs D (2013). Single-Digit Arabic Numbers Do Not Automatically Activate Magnitude Representations in Adults or in Children: Evidence from the Symbolic Same-Different Task. Acta Psychologica, 144, 3.
- Gabriel FC, Coché F, Szűcs D, Carette V, Rey B, Content A (2013), A Componential View of Children’s Difficulties in Learning Fractions. Frontiers in Psychology. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00715.
- Goswami U & Leong V (2013). Speech rhythm and temporal structure: Converging perspectives? Lab. Phon. 4 (1), 67-92. doi 10.1515/lp-2013-0004
- Szucs D & Goswami U (2013). Developmental dyscalculia: Fresh perspectives. Trends in Neuroscience and Education, 2, 2, 33-37. doi 10.1016/j.tine.2013.06.004
- Szűcs D, Nobes A, Devine A, Gabriel F, Gebuis T (2013). Visual stimulus parameters seriously compromise the measurement of approximate number system acuity and comparative effects between adults and children. Frontiers in Psychology, 4:444. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00444.
- Bhide A, Power A & Goswami U (2013). A Rhythmic Musical Intervention for Poor Readers: A Comparison of Efficacy With a Letter-Based Intervention. Mind, Brain, and Education, 7, 2, 113-123. doi: 10.1111/mbe.12016
- Goswami U, Mead N, Fosker T, Huss M, Barnes L, Leong V (2013). Impaired perception of syllable stress in children with dyslexia: A longitudinal study. Journal of Memory and Language, 69, 1, 1-17. doi: 10.1016/j.jml.2013.03.001
- Megnin-Viggars O & Goswami U (2013). Audiovisual perception of noise vocoded speech in dyslexic and non-dyslexic adults: The role of low-frequency visual modulations. Brain and Language, 124, 165-173. doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2012.12.002
- Thomson J, Leong V & Goswami U (2013). Auditory processing interventions and developmental dyslexia: A comparison of phonemic and rhythmic approaches. Reading and Writing. 26, 139-161 doi: 10.1007/s11145-012-9359-6.
- Devine A, Soltesz F, Nobes A, Goswami U & Szucs D (2013). Gender differences in developmental dyscalculia depend on diagnostic criteria. Learning & Instruction. 27, 31-39 doi: 10.1016/j.learninstruc.2013.02.004
- Goswami U (2013). Dyslexia - in tune but out of time. Psychologist. 26, 2, 106-109.
- Kyle F, Kujala J, Richardson U, Lyytinen H & Goswami U (2013). Assessing the Effectiveness of Two Theoretically Motivated Computer-Assisted Reading Interventions in the United Kingdom: GG Rime and GG Phoneme. Reading Research Quarterly, 48, 1, 61-76. doi: 10.1002/rrq.038
- Kuppen S, Huss M & Goswami U (2013). A longitudinal study of basic auditory processing and phonological skills in children with low IQ. Applied Psycholinguistics. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0142716412000719
- MacSweeney M, Goswami U & Neville H (2013). The neurobiology of rhyme judgment by deaf and hearing adults: An ERP study. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. doi: 10.1162/jocn_a_00373
- Morsányi K, Devine A, Nobes A, Szűcs D (2013), The link between logic, mathematics and imagination. Evidence from children with developmental dyscalculia and mathematically gifted children. Developmental Science. doi: 10.1111/desc.12048.
- Kaufmann L, Mazzocco MM, Dowker A, von Aster M, Goebel S, Grabner R, Henik A, Jordan NC, Karmiloff-Smith AD, Kucian K, Rubinsten O, Szűcs D, Shalev R, & Nuerk H-C. Dyscalculia from a developmental and differential perspective. Developmental Psychology. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00516.
- Hruby, GG, & Goswami, U (2013). Educational neuroscience for reading education researchers. In D. Alvermann, N. Unrau and R. Ruddell (Eds), Theoretical Models and Processes of Reading (6th ed.), 558-588. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Goswami, U (2013). Educational neuroscience: Bridging the gulf between basic research and implications for practice. In Lani Florian (Ed) The SAGE Handbook of Special Education: Two Volume Set, Volume 1. London: SAGE Publications Ltd. ISBN 978-1-4462-1053-6.
- Goswami, U (2013). The development of reasoning by analogy. In Pierre Barrouillet and Caroline Gauffroy (Eds) The Development of Thinking and Reasoning, 49-70. Hove: Psychology Press.
- Szűcs D, Killikelly C, Cutini S (2012), Event-related near-infrared spectroscopy detects conflict in the motor cortex in a Stroop task. Brain Research, 1477, 27-36. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2012.08.023
- Pincham H & Szűcs D (2012), Intentional subitizing: Exploring the role of automaticity in enumeration. Cognition, 124, 2, 107-116 doi: 10.1016/j.cognition.2012.05.010
- Gabriel F, Coche F, Szűcs D , Carette V, Rey B, Content A (2012). An intervention program to improve children’s understanding of fractions. Mind, Brain and Education. 6, 3, 137-146. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-228X.2012.01149.x
- White S, Szűcs D , Soltesz F. (2012).
Frontiers in Psychology. doi:
- White S, Szűcs D . (2012), 10.1186/1744-9081-8-1 Behavioral and Brain Functions. 8, 1, 1-12. doi:
- Goswami, U (2012). Entraining the brain: Applications to language research and links to musical entrainment. Musicology Review, 7, 1-2, 57-63. http://hdl.handle.net/1811/52980
- Devine A, Fawcett K, Szucs D, Dowker A. (2012). Gender differences in mathematics anxiety and the relation to mathematics performance while controlling for test anxiety. Behavioral and Brain Functions, 8, 33. doi: 10.1186/1744-9081-8-33
- Goswami, U (2012). Universals of reading: Developmental evidence for linguistic plausibility. Behavioral & Brain Sciences, 35, 5, 25-26 doi 10.1017/S0140525X12000052.
- Power AJ, Mead N, Barnes L & Goswami U (2012). Neural entrainment to rhythmically-presented auditory, visual and audio-visual speech in children. Frontiers in Psychology, 3: 216; doi 10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00216.
- Pincham H & Szucs D (2012). Target cueing provides support for tartget- and resource-based models of the attentional blink. PLoS One, 7, 5: e37596 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0037596.
- Goswami U, Huss M, Mead N, Fosker T, & Verney J (2012). Perception of Patterns of Musical Beat Distribution in Phonological Developmental Dyslexia: Significant Longitudinal Relations with Word Reading and Reading Comprehension. Cortex doi: 10.1016/j.cortex.2012.05.005
- 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5255-11 Examining the expectation deficit in normal aging. J Neuroscience, 32, 4, 1143-5 doi:
- Pincham H & Szűcs D (2012). Conscious access is linked to ongoing brain state: Electrophysiological evidence from the attentional blink. Cerebral Cortex, .
- Hsu YF, Szűcs D (2012). The time course of symbolic number adaptation: Oscillatory EEG activity and event-related potential analysis. NeuroImage, 15, 59, 3103-9, doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.11.017.
- Szűcs D & Soltesz F (2012). Functional definition of the N450 event-related brain potential marker of conflict processing: a numerical Stroop study. BMC Neuroscience, 13, 35. doi: 10.1186/1471-2202-13-35.
- Goswami, U (2012). Neuroscience and Education: Can we go from basic research to translation? A possible framework from dyslexia research. British Journal of Educational Psychology Monograph Series Vol. 1, Issue 1, 129-142.
- Wang H-L, Huss M, Hämäläinen J & Goswami U (2012). Basic auditory processing and developmental dyslexia in Chinese. Reading and Writing, 25, 2, 509-536. doi: 10.1007/s11145-010-9284-5
- Goswami U (2012). Principles of learning, implications for teaching? Cognitive neuroscience and the classroom. In Sergio Della Sala & Mike Anderson (Eds) Neuroscience in Education: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. 47-57. Oxford: OUP.
- Goswami U (2012). Reading and spelling: Revisiting Bradley and Bryant's study. In Alan M. Slater & Paul C. Quinn (Eds) Developmental Psychology: Revisiting the Classic Studies, 132-147. London: SAGE Publications Ltd. (Review from CHOICE, part of the American Library Association)
- Goswami U & Wyse D (2012). Early Reading Development. In J Larson & J Marsh (Eds), Handbook of Early Childhood Literacy, 2nd Edition. London: Sage.
- Soltész F, Goswami U, White S, Szűcs D (2011). Executive function effects and numerical development in children: Behavioural and ERP evidence from a numerical Stroop paradigm. Learning and Individual Differences, 21, 6, 662-671. doi: 10.1016/j.lindif.2010.10.004
- Hämäläinen JA, Rupp A, Soltész F, Szücs D & Goswami U (2011). Reduced phase locking to slow amplitude modulation in adults with dyslexia: An MEG study. NeuroImage, 59, 3, 2952-2961. doi: 10.1016/neuroimage.2011.09.075
- Hämäläinen JA, Fosker T, Szücs D, Goswami U (2011). N1, P2 and T-complex of the auditory brain event-related potentials to tones with varying rise times in adults with and without dyslexia. Int J Psychophysiol. 81, 1, 51-59. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2011.04.005
- Huss M, Verney JP, Fosker T, Mead N & Goswami U (2011). Music, rhythm, rise time perception and developmental dyslexia: Perception of musical meter predicts reading and phonology. Cortex, 47, 674-89.
- Goswami U & Szűcs D (2011). Educational neuroscience: Developmental mechanisms: towards a conceptual framework. Neuroimage, 57, 3, 651-658. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.08.072
- Bryce D, Szűcs D, Soltész F & Whitebread D (2011). The development of inhibitory control: an averaged and single-trial Lateralized Readiness Potential study. NeuroImage 57, 723-732. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.12.006
- Goswami U, Wang H-L, Cruz A, Fosker T, Mead N & Huss M (2011). *Language-universal sensory deficits in developmenta dyslexia: English, Spanish and Chinese. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 23, 325-337. doi:10.1162/jocn.2010.21453
*Cited by the British Educational Research Association (BERA) as one of 40 landmark studies to have made a significant impact on educational policy, practice, research methodology and/or theory over the past 40 years.
- Hsu YF & Szűcs D (2011). Arithmetic mismatch negativity and numerical magnitude processing in number matching. BMC Neurosci, 12:83. doi: 10.1186/1471-2202-12-83
- Stefanics G, Fosker T, Huss M, Mead N, Szücs D, & Goswami U (2011). Auditory sensory deficits in developmental dyslexia: a longitudinal ERP study. Neuroimage, 57, 3, 723-732. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.04.005
- Soltész F , White S, Szücs D. (2011). Event-related brain potentials dissociate the developmental time-course of automatic numerical magnitude analysis and cognitive control functions during the first three years of primary school. Dev Neuropsychol. 36, 6, 682-701. doi: 10.1080/87565641.2010.549982
- Hruby, G., & Goswami, U. (2011). Neuroscience and reading: A review for reading education researchers. Reading Research Quarterly, 46, 156-172. doi: 10.1598/RRQ.46.2.4
- Leong V, Hämäläinen J, Soltesz F & Goswami U. (2011). Rise time perception and detection of syllable stress in adults with developmental dyslexia. Journal of Memory and Language, 64, 59-73. doi:10.1016/j.jml.2010.09.003
- Goswami U, Fosker T, Huss M, Mead N & Szücs D. (2011). Rise time and formant transition duration in the discrimination of speech sounds: The ba-wa distinction in developmental dyslexia. Developmental Science, 14, 34-43. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-7687.2010.00955.x
- Kuppen S, Huss M, Fosker T, Fegan N & Goswami U (2011). Basic auditory processing skills and phonological awareness in low-IQ readers and typically-developing controls. Scientific Studies of Reading, 15, 3, 211-243. doi: 10.1080/10888431003706291.
- Goswami, U (2011). What cognitive neuroscience really tells educators about learning and development. In J. Moyles, J. Paylor, J. Georgeson, Eds, Beginning Teaching, Beginning Learning, 4th Edition, pp. 21-31. Open University Press.
- Fischer KW, Goswami U, & Geake J (2010). The future of educational neuroscience. Mind, Brain & Education, 4, 68-80. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-228X.2010.01086.x
- Goswami U, Gerson D, & Astruc L (2010). Amplitude envelope perception, phonology and prosodic sensitivity in children with developmental dyslexia. Reading and Writing. doi: 10.1007/s11145-009-9186-6
- Stefanics G, Fosker T, Fegan N, Huss M, Szücs D & Goswami U (2010). Amplitude envelope onset (rise time) detection and developmental dyslexia — A longitudinal ERP study. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 77, 3, 236-237. doi:10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2010.06.350
- Thomson JM, & Goswami U (2010). Learning novel phonological representations in developmental dyslexia: Associations with basic auditory processing of rise time and phonological awareness. Reading & Writing, 23, 453-69. doi: 10.1007/s11145-009-9167-9
- Corriveau K, Goswami U & Thomson JM (2010). Auditory processing and early literacy skills in a preschool and kindergarten population. Journal of Learning Disabilities. doi: 10.1177/0022219409355476
- Johnson C & Goswami U (2010). Phonological awareness, vocabulary and reading in deaf children with cochlear implants. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 53, 237-261. doi: 10.1044/1092-4388(2009/08-0139)
- Szücs D & Soltész F (2010), Stimulus and response conflict in the color-word Stroop task: a combined electro-myography and event-related potentials study. Brain Research. 1325, 63-76. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2010.02.011
- Fraser J, Goswami U & Conti-Ramsden G (2010). Dyslexia and specific language impairment: The role of phonology and auditory processing. Scientific Studies of Reading, 14, 1, 8-29. doi: 10.1080/10888430903242068
- Szücs D & Soltész F (2010), Event-related brain potentials to violations of arithmetic syntax represented by place value structure. Biological Psychology. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsycho.2010.04.002
- Soltész F, Szűcs D, Szücs L (2010), Relationships between magnitude representation, counting and memory in 4- to 7-year-old children: a developmental study.Behavioural and Brain Functions. 6:13.
- Goswami U (2010). A temporal sampling framework for developmental dyslexia. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 15, 1 3-10. doi: 10.1016/j.tics.2010.10.001
- Hall K, Goswami U, Harrison C, Ellis S & Soler J (2010). Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Learning to Read: Culture, Cognition and Pedagogy. London: Routledge.
- Goswami U (August 2010). The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Childhood Cognitive Development: 2nd Edition. Blackwell Handbooks of Developmental Psychology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Goswami U (2010). Phonology, reading and reading difficulties. In K. Hall et al. (Eds), Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Learning to Read. London: Routledge.
- Goswami U (2010). A psycholinguistic grain size view of reading acquisition across languages. In N. Brunswick, S. McDougall & P. Mornay-Davies (Eds). Reading and dyslexia in different orthographies. Hove: Psychology Press. (isbn-10: 1841697125, isbn-13: 9781841697123)
- Goswami U (2010). Language, music and children's brains: A rhythmic timing perspective on language and music as cognitive systems. In P. Rebuschat et al. (Eds.) Language and Music as Cognitive Systems. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Szücs D, Soltész F & Goswami U (2009). Beyond format-specificity: is analogue magnitude really the core abstract feature of the cultural number representation? Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 32, 352-353. doi: 10.1017/S0140525X09990884
- Corriveau K, & Goswami U (2009). Rhythmic motor entrainment in children with speech and language impairment: Tapping to the beat. Cortex, 45, 119-130. doi:10.1016/j.cortex.2007.09.008
- Hämäläinen JA, Leppänen PHT, Eklund K, Thomson J, Richardson U, Guttorm TK, Witton C, Poikkeus, A-M, Goswami U, & Lyytinen H (2009). Common variance in amplitude envelope perception tasks and their impact on phoneme duration perception and reading and spelling in Finnish children with reading disabilities. Applied Psycholinguistics, 30, 3, 511-530. doi: 10.1017/S0142716409090250
- Thomson J, Goswami U & Baldeweg, T (2009). The ERP signature of sound rise time changes. Brain Research, 1254, 74-83. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2008.11.087
- MacSweeney M, Brammer MJ, Waters D, & Goswami U (2009). Enhanced activation of the left inferior frontal gyrus in deaf and dyslexic adults during rhyming. Brain. 132, 1928-1940 doi: 10.1093/brain/awp129
- Szücs D, Soltész F & White S (2009). Motor conflict in Stroop tasks: direct evidence from single-trial electro-myography and electro-encephalography. Neuroimage. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2009.05.048
- Szücs D, Soltész F, Bryce D & Whitebread D (2009). Real-time tracking of motor response activation and response competition in a Stroop task in young children: A lateralized readiness potential study. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. doi: 10.1162/jocn.2009.21220
- Soltész F & Szücs D (2009). An electro-physiological temporal principal component analysis of processing stages in number comparison and developmental dyscalculia. Cognitive Development, 24, 4, 473-485.
- Jones CRG, Happé F, Baird G, Simonoff E, Marsden AJ, Tregay J, Phillips RJ, Goswami U, & Thomson JM (2009). Auditory discrimination and auditory sensory behaviours in autism spectrum disorders. Neuropsychologia, 47, 13, 2850-8. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2009.06.015
- Suranyi Z, Csepe V, Richardson U, Thomson JM, Honbolygo F & Goswami U (2009). Sensitivity to Rhythmic Parameters in Dyslexic Children: A Comparison of Hungarian and English. Reading and Writing, 22, 41-56. doi: 10.1007/s11145-007-9102-x.
- Goswami, U (2009). Mind, brain, and literacy: biomarkers as usable knowledge for education. Mind, Brain, and Education, 3, 3, 176-184. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-228X.2009.01068.x
- James, D, Rajput, K, Brinton, J & Goswami, U (2009). Orthographic influences on phonological awareness in deaf children who use cochlear implants. Applied Psycholinguistics, 30, 659-684.
- Cooper CL, Field J, Goswami U, Jenkins R, & Sahakian BJ (2009) (Eds.). Mental Capital and Wellbeing. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Goswami, U (2009). The Basic Processes in Reading: Insights from Neuroscience. D.R. Olson and N. Torrance (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Literacy. Cambridge University Press.
- Beddington J, Cooper CL, Field J, Goswami U, Huppert FA, Jenkins R, Jones HS, Kirkwood TBL, Sahakian BJ & Thomas SM (2008). The mental wealth of nations. Nature, 455, 1057-1060. doi:10.1038/4551057a
- Goswami U (2008). Reading, dyslexia and the brain. Educational Research, 50, 2, 135-148. doi: 10.1080/00131880802082625
- Goswami U (2008). Learning difficulties - Future challenges. Mental Capital and Wellbeing Project. Foresight Programme, UK Government. pdf
- Wyse D & Goswami U (2008). Synthetic phonics and the teaching of reading*. British Educational Research Journal, 34, 6, 691-710. doi:
- Goswami U (2008). Principles of learning, implications for teaching: a cognitive neuroscience perspective. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 42, 3-4, 381-399.
- Thomson JM & Goswami U (2008). Rhythmic processing in children with developmental dyslexia: auditory and motor rhythms link to reading and spelling. Journal of Physiology - Paris, 102, 1-3, 120-129. doi: 10.1016/j.jphysparis.2008.03.007
- Goswami U (2008). Reading, complexity and the brain. Literacy, 42, 2, 67-74. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-4369.2008.00484.x
- MacSweeney M, Waters D, Brammer MJ, Woll B & Goswami U (2008). Phonological processing in deaf signers and the impact of age of first language acquisition. NeuroImage, 40, 3, 1369-1379. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2007.12.047
- Szücs D & Soltész F (2008). The interaction of task-relevant and task-irrelevant stimulus features in the number/size congruency paradigm: an ERP study. Brain Research, 1190, 143-158. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2007.11.010
- Green J & Goswami U (2008). Synesthesia and number cognition in children. Cognition, 106, 463-473.
- Goswami U (2008). Analogy and the brain: A new perspective on relational primacy. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 31, 4, 387-8.
- James D, Brinton J, Rajput K & Goswami U (2008). Phonological awareness, vocabulary, and word reading in children who use cochlear Implants: Does age of implantation explain individual variability in performance outcomes and growth? Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 13, 117-137. doi: 10.1093/deafed/enm042
- Goswami, U (2008). The Development of Reading across Languages. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. doi: 10.1196/annals.1416.018
- Goswami U (2008). Cognitive Development: The Learning Brain. Psychology Press, Taylor & Francis.
- Corriveau K, Pasquini E & Goswami U (2007). Basic auditory processing skills and specific language impairment: a new look at an old hypothesis. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 50, 647-666. pdf
- Goswami, U & Bryant, PE (2007). Children's cognitive development and learning. Research survey for the Esme Fairburn Foundation Review, University of Cambridge
- Pasquini ES, Corriveau KH & Goswami U (2007). Auditory processing of amplitude envelope rise time in adults diagnosed with developmental dyslexia. Scientific Studies of Reading, 11, 3, 259-286.
- Szücs D & Goswami U (2007). Educational neuroscience: Defining a new discipline for the study of mental representations. Mind, Brain and Education, 1, 3, 114-127.
- Szücs D & Soltész F, (2007). Event-related potentials dissociate facilitation and interference effects in the numerical Stroop paradigm. Neuropsychologia. 45, 14, 3190-3202.
- Szücs D , Soltész F , Jármi É & Csépe V (2007). The speed of magnitude processing and executive functions in controlled and automatic number comparison in children: an electro-encephalography study. Behavioural and Brain Functions. 30, 3-23 (EPub: 30 April 2007).
- Soltész F , Szücs D , Dékány J, Márkus A & Csépe V (2007). A combined event-related potential and neuropsychological investigation of developmental dyscalculia. Neuroscience Letters. 417, 181-186.
- Szücs D , Soltész F , Czigler I & Csépe V (2007). Electroencephalography effects to semantic and non-semantic mismatch in properties of visually presented single characters: the N2b and the N400. Neuroscience Letters, 412, 18-23.
- Goswami U (2007). Typical reading development and developmental dyslexia across languages. In D. Coch, G. Dawson & K.F. Fischer. Human Behaviour, Learning and the Developing Brain: Atypical Development. New York: Guilford Publications.
- Goswami U (2007). Learning to read across languages: the role of phonics and synthetic phonics. In K. Goouch Understanding Phonics and the Teaching of Reading. Open University Press.
- Goswami, U . (2006). Developmental Science Review: The foundations of psychological understanding. Developmental Science, 9, 545-550.
- Ziegler, J. & Goswami, U. (2006). Becoming literate in different languages: similar problems, different solutions. Developmental Science, 9, 5, 429-436.
- Thomson, J. , Fryer, B., Maltby, J. & Goswami, U. (2006). Auditory and motor rhythm awareness in adults with dyslexia. Journal of Research in Reading, 29, 3, 334-348.
- Goswami, U. (2006). Neuroscience and education: from research to practice? Nature Neuroscience Reviews. 7, 5, 406-413. doi:10.1038/nrn1907
- Goswami, U. (2006). Sensorimotor impairments in dyslexia: getting the beat. Developmental Science, 9, 3, 257-259.
- Goswami, U. & Ziegler, J.C. (2006). A developmental perspective on the neural code for written words. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 10, 4, 142-143. doi:10.1016/j.tics.2006.02.006
- Goswami, U . (2006) (Ed.). Cognitive Development: Critical Concepts in Psychology. London: Routledge.
- Goswami, U. (2006). Reading. In J. Reed & J. Warner-Rogers (Eds.). Child Neuropsychology: Concepts, theory and practice. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Goswami, U. (2006). Phonological Awareness and Literacy. In: Keith Brown (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Language & Linguistics, Second Edition, volume 9, 489-497. Oxford: Elsevier.
Goswami, U. (2006, April). Rhyme, Rhythm and Dyslexia. Poster session presented at the International Reading Association Annual Convention, Chicago, IL.
- Thomson, J. , Richardson, U. & Goswami, U. (2005). The role of similarity neighborhoods in children's short-term memory: comparing typically-developing children with children with dyslexia. Memory and Cognition, 33, 1210-1219.
- Szucs, D. (2005). Teachers can substantially inform cognitive psychological and cognitive neuroscience research. The Journal of the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Disabilities. Nov 2005. 4-7.
- Goswami, U ., Ziegler, J. & Richardson, U. (2005). The effects of spelling consistency on phonological awareness: A comparison of English and German. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 92, 345-365.
- Goswami, U . (2005). Synthetic Phonics and Learning to Read: A Cross-Language Perspective. Educational Psychology in Practice, 21, 4, 273-282.
- Goswami, U. & Pauen, S. (2005). The effects of a "family" analogy on class inclusion reasoning by young children. Swiss Journal of Psychology, 64, 115-124.*
- Szücs, D. & Csépe, V. (2005). The effect of numerical distance and stimulus probability on ERP components elicited by numerical incongruencies in mental addition. Cognitive Brain Research, 22, 282-300.
- Szücs, D. & Csépe, V. (2005). The parietal distance effect appears in both the congenitally blind and matched sighted controls in an acoustic number comparison task. Neuroscience Letters. 384, 11-16.
- Szücs, D. (2005). The role of electrophysiology in the study of early development: A commentary on Guilleaume Thierry. Infant and Child Development, 14, 99-102.
- Goswami, U. (2005). Commentary on G. Thierry: The use of event related potentials in the study of early cognitive development. Infant & Child Development, 14, 95-98.
- Ziegler, J., & Goswami, U. (2005). Reading Acquisition, Developmental Dyslexia, and Skilled Reading Across Languages: A Psycholinguistic Grain Size Theory. Psychological Bulletin, 131, 1, 3-29.
- James, D., Rajput, K., Brinton, J. & Goswami, U . (2005). Phonological awareness in deaf children who use cochlear implants. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 48, 1511-1528. doi: 10.1044/1092-4388(2005/105)
- Goswami, U. (2005). Orthography, phonology and reading development: A cross-linguistic perspective. In R.M. Joshi, C.K. Leong & B.L.J. Kaczmarek (Eds.), Literacy Acquisition - The role of phonology, morphology and orthography, pp. 463-80. Netherlands: IOS Press for NATO.
- Goswami, U. (2004). Neuroscience, Education and Special Education. British Journal of Special Education, 31, 4, 175-183.
- Szücs D & Csépe V (2004). Access to number representations is dependent on the modality of stimulus presentation in mental addition: a combined behavioral and ERP study. Cognitive Brain Research. 19, 1, 10-27.
- Szücs D , Csépe V (2004). Similarities and differences in the coding of numerical and alphabetical order using acoustic stimulation as revealed by event-related potentials in humans. Neuroscience Letters. 360, 1-2, 65-68.
- Szűcs D, Csépe V (2004), Access to numerical information is dependent on the modality of stimulus presentation in mental addition: a combined ERP and behavioral study. Cognitive Brain Research. 19 (1) 10-27.
- Richardson, U., Thomson, J. , Scott, S.K. & Goswami, U. (2004). Auditory Processing Skills and Phonological Representation in Dyslexic Children. Dyslexia, 10, 215-233.
- Muneaux, M., Ziegler, J.C., Truc, C., Thomson, J. & Goswami, U. (2004). Deficits in beat perception and dyslexia: Evidence from French. Neuroreport, 15, 8.
- Goswami, U. (2004). Neuroscience and Education. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 74, 1-14.
- Goswami, U. (2003). Why theories about developmental dyslexia require developmental designs. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 7, 534-540. pdf
- Csépe V, Szücs D , Honbolygó F (2003). Number word reading as challenging task in dyslexia. International Journal of Psychophysiology. 51, 69-83. pdf
- De Cara, B., & Goswami, U. (2003). Phonological neighbourhood density effects in a rhyme awareness task in 5-year-old children. Journal of Child Language, 30, 695-710.
- Goswami, U. (2003). How to Beat Dyslexia: The Broadbent Lecture 2003. The Psychologist, 16, 9, 462-465.
- Goswami, U. , Ziegler, J., Dalton, L., & Schneider, W. (2003). Nonword reading across orthographies: How flexible is the choice of reading units? Applied Psycholinguistics, 24, 235-247.
- Goswami, U. (2003). Phonology, Reading Development and Dyslexia: A Cross-Language Analysis. Bulletin of the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties, 16, 2, 2-8.
- Goswami, U. (2003). Orthography, phonology and reading development: A cross-linguistic perspective. In M. Joshi (Ed.), Linguistic relativity of orthographic and phonological structures. Dordrecht, NL: Kluwer.
- Goswami, U. (2003). Phonology, learning to read and dyslexia: A cross-linguistic analysis. In V. Csepe (Ed.), Dyslexia: Different Brain, Different Behaviour, pp. 1-40. NL: Kluwer Academic.
- Goswami, U. (2003). Developmental Dyslexia in English. In I. Smythe, J. Everatt and R. Salter, International Book of Dyslexia, 2nd Edition. London: Wiley.
- De Cara, B., & Goswami, U. (2002). Similarity relations among spoken words: The special status of rimes in English. Behavioural Research Methods and Instrumentation, 34 (3), 416-423. pdf
[Link to the study's lexical database, or visit De Cara's website.]
- Szücs D & Csépe V (2002). Event-related potentials in memory research: A review. Hungarian Journal of Psychology, LVII. 2. 289-326. (In Hungarian.)
- Goswami, U. , Thomson, J. , Richardson, U., Stainthorp, R., Hughes, D., Rosen, S. & Scott, S.K. (2002). pdf Amplitude envelope onsets and developmental dyslexia: A new hypothesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 99, 16, 10911-10916. pdf
- Goswami, U. (2002). Phonology, reading development and dyslexia: A cross-linguistic perspective. Annals of Dyslexia, 52, 1-23.
- Goswami, U. (2002). In the beginning was the rhyme? A reflection on Hulme, Hatcher, Nation, Brown, Adams & Stuart, 2001. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 82, 47-57. pdf
- Goswami, U . (2002) (Ed.). Blackwell Handbook of Childhood Cognitive Development. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Goswami, U. (2002). Inductive and Deductive Reasoning. In U. Goswami (Ed.), Blackwell's Handbook of Childhood Cognitive Development, pp. 282-302. Oxford: Blackwells.
- Goswami, U. (2002). Rhymes, phonemes and learning to read: Interpreting recent research. In M. Cook (Ed.)Perspectives on the Teaching and Learning of Phonics, pp. 41-60. Royston, UK: United Kingdom Reading Association.
- Goswami, U. (2002). Cognitive Development. In J.J. Ponzetti (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family Relationships, 2nd Edition. New York: Macmillan Reference USA.
Earlier publications by Goswami, U are listed on her personal pages
- Szűcs D (2016), Subtypes and co-morbidity in mathematical learning disabilities: Multi-dimensional study of verbal and visual memory processes is key to understanding. Progress in Brain Research. In press.
- Pincham H, Bowman H, Szűcs D (2016), The Experiential Blink: Mapping the Cost of Working Memory Encoding onto Conscious Perception in the Attentional Blink. Cortex. In press.
- Hill F, Mammarella I, Caviola S, Devine A, Szűcs D (2016), Math anxiety in primary and secondary school students: Gender differences, developmental changes and anxiety specificity. Learning and Individual Differences. In Press.
- Ronconi L, Pincham H, Cristoforetti G, Facoetti A, Szűcs D (2016). Shaping pre-stimulus neural activity with auditory rhythmic stimulation improves the temporal allocation of attention. Neuroreport. In Press.